Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Firefox - the most bloated, memory hogging software

Firefox is no more the thin and fast browser it used to be.

It is the most memory hogging software on my computer.

It is buggy too - sometimes, even if I close Firefox, it keeps running sometimes at 50% cpu, and sometimes at 100% cpu.

It is annoying too - when you start Firefox, it will show a blinking cursor in the address bar, but when you start typing, you will realize that that's not the cursor and you need to click on the address bar to get the focus there.

Another annoying thing is that it will try to access hard disk randomly and will get stuck there. I think Firefox spends more time accessing hard disk than Internet. And the annoying part is it will not respond while it is doing some crap with the hard disk.

At last, I have to confess Firefox is my primary browser. I use it for everything. I can't browse Internet without 'Flashblock' add-on. 'Dictionary tooltip' and 'Tab Mix Plus' add-ons improve my experience. If it wasn't for these extensions, I would have discarded Firefox long back.

Mozilla Corp. has over 250 employees and has revenue of $75 million dollars. The whole company is devoted towards making Firefox the best browser. The extensions are developed by individual developers. How ironic is this that Firefox's main strength comes from the extensions and not from the browser it is.

Another ironic thing about Firefox is that it was targeted for Linux as main platform, but the Firefox experience on Linux is sub par. The Firefox on Linux is even more slower and does not have many features and coolness of the Firefox on Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment