Monday, November 16, 2009

PortableApps.com is awesome

I have been using PortableApps.com on and off for last few years. But now I have decided to use as many apps from PortableApps.com as possible.

With Portable apps, switching machines is so easy.

Sometimes I use my laptop as primary machine, sometimes my desktop in the lab/office. And it is really cumbersome to keep both machines in sync in terms of applications, settings and data. Even if you don't want to use usb flash drive all the time, install Portable Apps on the hard disk.

Recently I decided to make a new Windows 7 machine as my primary desktop, it was a pain installing all the apps, copying files, and setting all the settings. Had it been Portable Apps, all I needed was to copy the folder and done!

For multiple users case: When there are multiple users working on the same computer, then every user has his own copy of Portable Apps and there is no conflict.

Few minutes back I installed GIMP, I am going to uninstall it and get it from PortablApps.com! Done! There are other candidates too for a move to Portable Apps start menu like Gvim, I will do them later.

Installing and uninstalling software can give you a perception of having power and it can be fun. But after a while (actually may be a few years), you get tired. Or, you just don't have time for the stupid computer. PortableApps.com is your friend.

I hope somebody comes with PortableApps for Linux/Ubuntu too.

No comments:

Post a Comment