Friday, November 27, 2009

Subversion GUI client for Linux

After reading for many posts on looking for a GUI subversion client for Linux, I decided to try "rapidsvn" (rapidsvn.tigris.org) because it is from the same domain as of subversion (subversion.tigris.org).

On the website, there is a exe installed for Windows, dmg insaller for Mac, but no installer for Linux - just the source code. How pathetic!!

I downloaded and tried to install.
It asked for APR - I compiled and installed it.
It then asked for APR-util - I compiled and installed this too.
It then asked for subversion headers - after spending a few hours, I gave up on this.

Finally, I gave up on rapidsvn. I wish the scenario in Linux was better, but even after so many years of evolution, it is still pathetic.

Next, I went for kdesvn. Could not compile.

Next, I went for eSVN. Could not compile.

Finally, I gave up on getting a Subversion GUI. What's the use of these software, if they are useless?

After spending many hours, net productivity was 0, a big zero. This is very normal in Linux environment.

All I can say is although Linux core operating system has moved way ahead, but the Linux environment remains pathetic and far from a productive environment.

There are definitely some good applications on Linux, but overall it wastes lot of time. As a rule of thumb - avoid compiling applications on your own unless that is your work or you enjoy it (I used to enjoy it when some how installing software used to give a sense of power).

One way to avoid this kind of waste of time is to use Ubuntu and use its 'agt-get' to get all the apps. Unfortunately, I can't use that because I don't have admin control over these machines where I do most of research work.

No comments:

Post a Comment