Sunday, January 24, 2010

Firefox: bookmark with smart keyword makes searching websites smart

Here is what I do:
To look for the word 'mythology' on www.thefreedictionary.com, I type "d mythology" in the url box.
To search 'python tutorial' on google.com, I type "g python tutorial" in the url box.
To go to google.com, I type 'g' in the url box.

Same way I have 'smart keywords' setup for many search websites. Here is the current list:
a - www.amazon.com
b - www.bing.com
d - www.thefreedictionary.com
g - www.google.com
gm - maps.google.com
gn - news.google.com
w - en.wikipedia.org

To add 'smart keywords' for a search website:
1. Go to the search website.
2. Right click on the search box and choose "Add a Keyword for this Search..."
3. In the "New Bookmark" dialog box, enter a name and a keyword. For example for www.google.com, I entered name = "Google", keyword = "g". This keyword will be used as a shortcut to search on the search website.

That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment