Sunday, January 31, 2010

iPhone and Google Sync - Sync emails, calendar and contacts over the air

Syncing over the air should have been directly through iTunes using wi-fi. But it is not. Instead Apple was charging $99 a year with MobileMe service for providing over the air sync for calendar, contacts and emails. Thanks to Google, that I am able to sync my calendar, contacts and emails over the air that too with push technology.

My previous setup was like this:
Email: Google mail through iPhone's mail app (I think it was using IMAP) with 15 min polling.
Contacts: Outlook, syncing via USB+iTunes.
Calendar: Outlook, syncing via USB+iTunes.

Email was OK, Contacts was also OK. But Calendar, every time I changed something in my Laptop, I needed to sync iPhone with USB cable which was a big pain in the ass.

Current setup is as follows:
Email, Contacts, Calendar: Google through MS Exchange server with Direct Push.
Contacts: Outlook, synching via USB+iTunes (I will soon move to Google completely for this)

Now my iPhone syncs with my Google calendar. I already transferred my calendar from outlook to Google calendar. Google calendar is not as sophisticated as Outlook, but it has everything I need for the time. In fact, now I can edit my calendar from any computer, not just my laptop.

Email is also better because of the Direct push.

No comments:

Post a Comment